4/12/11

Ikea, eat your heart out.

As you might already know, we moved recently.

I went looking for an economical bookcase solution for my hundreds of cookbooks waiting to be unpacked from the garage. I wanted to fit them under the countertop of the bar area.

Searching and searching, nothing seemed to fit the bill.

Then I remembered the old board and concrete block system I used during my college days.

As I did back then, I assembled these custom-made bookshelves for my library of cookbooks without any tools or Allen wrenches. Voila! A cut-rate bookcase, DIY, with easily available materials!

Can a masonry-block bookcase ever be attractive? I think so.



Supply costs:

(8) 4 x 8 x 16 masonry blocks ($1.48 ea.) = $11.84
(6) 9.8" x 47.8" shelving ($7.76 ea.) = $46.56
1 qt. can Behr pure white paint = $10.46
1 paint brush = $4.97

Total: $73.83 (tax not included)

The cost of having my cookbooks within arms reach? Priceless!



4 comments:

Jan Norris said...

Brilliant!

The Motley Recipe Blog said...

That's a great idea!

Beth said...

I love it! Looks like you are really making that small kitchen work out. :)Can't wait to see what you will think of next.

Table Scraps said...

Thank you Jan, Dorvi and Beth for your positive comments!