7/31/10

Pickled beets as sweet as candy



Last week, I wrote about the Ruskin Woman's Club annual fundraising event where members made homemade watermelon rind pickles. After the pickling party, club member Dorothy Renshaw gifted me with a jar of the leftover pickle syrup and suggested I combine it with cooked beets.

The combination sounded a little iffy to me, I have a love-hate relationship with the root veggie. I definitely prefer them pickled, so I decided to try Dorothy's tip.

I went to Mabry's Market and purchased a half dozen or so fresh beets. Once boiled to a crisp-yet-tender state, I ran them under cold water and let them sit for about 15 minutes. After trimming, peeling and slicing the beets, I let them sit in the fridge overnight, covered with the sweet, spicy pickle syrup.

They were simply delicious!

Leftovers, should you have any, will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

2 comments:

Sue @ All About Food said...

Just the other day I polished off a pint jar of pickled beets made by my good friend. They remind me of the ones my mom used to make with whole allspice, cloves and fennel seeds in the brine. I'll bet the juice from pickled watermelon gave the same kind of flavors to the beets. Lucky you!

Becky said...

Reminds me of my grandparents and their garden along with all of the delicious pickled vegetables.