9/20/09

Add some crunch by toasting your coconut

It's such a small step, but like toasting nuts, toasting coconut brings out natural oils and creates an added dimension and fuller flavor to the fruit.

I prefer unsweetened coconut flakes, which I buy at Bulk-N-Natural Foods in Sarasota. You can't beat their prices.

I preheat my oven to 350 degrees, arrange the coconut flakes in a single layer on a cookie sheet, and then bake for eight to 10 minutes or until the flakes are light golden brown. I check and stir them every few minutes to prevent burning.


Don't these look yummy?

Once I remove the flakes from the oven, I allow to cool before using.

Toasted coconut flakes add a finishing touch to cakes, puddings or, in this instance, the coconut-avocado ice cream I made this weekend. A light sprinkling adds a bit of crunch to the dessert's silky smoothness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is similar to it.