6/11/11

Oh, how I love Sarasota!


Well, I love Ruskin too. But sometimes it's great to get out of town.

We woke up bright and early yesterday and headed to the farmers market in Sarasota. I lived there for seven years before moving to Hillsborough County in 2007. My daughter Leslie and her family just moved there recently, so after a four-year absence, I was looking forward to reacquainting myself with the town... and sneaking in a little visit with my one-year-old granddaughter, Lila.

The farmers market is a big deal in Sarasota.

Vendors have been setting up shop downtown since 1979. Rain or shine, the market is open every Saturday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Lemon Avenue at the intersection of Main Street. About 70 artisans, growers and other peddlers offer artwork, handmade soaps, spices, fresh baked breads and pastries, seafood, coffee, live plants, cut flowers and, of course, fresh fruits and vegetables. I'm sure I've left some out.

On this trip, my small market haul included three generous-sized Poblano peppers, a bag of beautiful Brussels sprouts and red and green bell peppers.


While you're waiting for next Saturday to roll around, here's a little taste of what you have to look forward to if you decide to venture forth:









No comments: