6/22/09

Salad dressing a kick, not just a sidekick


About six weeks ago, Hydro Harvest Farms owner John Lawson told me he planted lemon and lime basil seedlings. I visited the farm - and it was hotter than a pizza oven - Sunday afternoon to see how the plants had progressed.

Along with the lemon and lime basils, John also has Thai, Genovese and regular varieties. Some say Genovese is the favored variety for making pesto.

I took home several handfuls of the fragrant lemon and lime basil. I threw one handful of leaves into the blender, added a cup of honey, garlic clove, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and the juice of one lime. Voila! I cooled off with a honey-lime basil dressing, which I served over lettuce, chunks of canteloupe, blueberries and walnuts.

Served with a sirloin patty, this salad burst with flavor. My taste tester gave this dressing an "I-could-lick-my-plate-it's-so-good" review.

If you've got other ideas about lemon or lime basil, please chime in. I still have a handful left.

1101 Shell Point Road East
Ruskin, FL
(813) 645-6574


No comments: