3/29/09

Ingredient: European Cutting Celery

When I picked up my produce order this week from My Mother's Garden online market, I thought "I didn't order parsley."

Then I stuck my nose into the leaves and realized it wasn't parsley - it was European cutting celery.

Grown hydroponically without any harmful chemicals, the cutting celery came from Greens on the Gro Farm in Palmetto.

After a little online research, I learned it's for seasoning - more aromatic and flavorful than regular celery and without the large stalk.

Europeans use the leaves and thin, hollow stalks to flavor soups and stews. The stalks can also be hung upside down in a well-ventilated area to dry, and then used as an herb.

This seasoning celery is a pleasure to eat.

Here, I combined it with grape and yellow tomatoes, sweet onion and a light balsamic vinaigrette. Next, I want to try and sauté the celery, Chinese style, with minced garlic and chicken stock.

No comments: